Update on Liberty Baptist Church in Padre Hurtado
As many of you know, we asked you to pray with us about a new church plant we had scheduled for this fall (spring in South America). After 6 weeks of searching for a house or building to rent, we finally found an ideal place. As we negotiated the details with the owner, she told us the current tenant would be leaving at the end of October. Then the date changed to the 15th of November, then to the end of November. Now, it looks like we will get the property at the end of this month… Needless to say, it’s been frustrating! During this time we’ve actively pursued other rental options to no avail. Help us pray that this issue will be resolved during December!
What have we been doing in the meantime?
1. Since the end of October we’ve been meeting for weekly Bible studies in different homes with a core group in Padre Hurtado.
2. We have also assumed leadership of another church plant that was started by one of our Chilean pastors about a year ago. This young church, Redeemer Baptist, is near where we plan to launch Liberty. God willing we will be overseeing both works with a Bible college student (sounds like an exciting challenge).
3. I still travel out one day a week to help with our church near the coast (about 90 miles west of Santiago). We are excited to see how God is working in this needy part of the country.
4. I’ve also been teaching 8 hours a week at the Chile Baptist College. Our academic year end next week! The Bible college represents the heart of what we’re doing in Chile. Our fundamental purpose is to train Chileans for the ministry!
5. Plus, we’re now working closely with a national pastor in northern Chile. I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to spend time helping him with church planting ministries during the past few weeks. God willing we’ll have the opportunity to plant several churches there in the next few years. I’ll write more about this next week.